Tuesday, August 7, 2007

We Made It!!!

***Well, we finally made it to Kazakhstan. We landed at 5 am this morning. The flight to Kaz was much smoother and quieter than the one to Amsterdam. We made it through customs without a problem (much less intimidating than I expected) and were picked up by our driver. The driver is a really nice young man wearing a T shirt that says "BEER, its whats for dinner" and driving a Subaru Forester (2006). He took us to our hotel, 2 single beds that feel like boxes, and a shower that you step up 2 to 3 feet to get into. No air conditioner, BUT it is clean and safe.

We walked into the hotel room this morning and Ethan said "Mary, we're not in Kansas anymore". No, we are not. Though, it doesn't really feel that different from any city I have been in, just a little more unkept. The people are friendly and many do speak English. There are lots of dogs running around and people drive like maniacs, but I honestly felt a little more nervous in New York on the roads than I do here. Today we met with the partners here in Almaty to go over the basics of our trip.

We fly to Kokshetau tommarow morning at 9 am on the puddle jumper and then we meet Caleb afterwards. I am excited, but at this point my brain is so full of information and tired from jet lag, that I am not fully processing the fact that we are finally meeting our son in less than 24 hours. None the less, we are ready. This has been a long time coming. Thanks to all, tommarow, its all about Caleb.

13 comments:

cat collier martinez said...

Hi Cathy, thanks for the info. We have been praying for Ethan
and Mary. We wish for everything to go well and they have a
good trip with no gliches. So good to hear from you. Love you
Always. Mom mom (Collier)

nikki b said...

hi mary! i am so glad you and ethan have made it to your destination safely. i can't wait for you to meet your son and hear your stories. you are in my thoughts and prayers! and by the way, you are spelling tomorrow incorrectly. ha!
nikki

nikki b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

Hi Mare and E!! man, I am thinking about you guys constantly!! I am so anxious about you today!! I can't wait till you guys can squeeze that little man in your arms!! love the blog, keep us posted!g

elizabeth said...

Hey M and E--

Everytime I look at the clock, I wonder where you guys are! I can't believe that you are only hours away from seeing your baby. I am so excited--I don't know how you are standing it. Thanks for updating us. e

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori said...

I was so glad to read your first entry to your journey to your son.
I can not wait until you see your son, feel him in your arms and hug him for the first time! Hope your time in Amsterdam was enjoyable! Can't wait to hear about the puddle-jumper experience. Love, Lori

Melissa said...

Hey Mary! I am so excited for you guys. Can't wait to hear about your first meeting with Caleb :) Give him lots of hugs and kisses from all of us. You are always in our thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the next post-- after you guys have been able to hold Caleb. This is such an exciting time. I am nervous and excited for you both. I love you guys!

Mom/Dad said...

Hi Mary & Ethan! We have been watching the clock and praying for your every step. We will be glad to hear you are off the last special plane ride. So thankful your day has come with that precious child.
Love
Mom/Dad

mom/dad said...

Mary Ethan and Caleb

So good to hear from you. Your family continues to be in our prayers. Thanks for the kind card.

Love mom and dad d

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! I have been sitting on pins and needles and watching the clock wondering where you are. So glad that the journey is underway. I pray for you three at every thought. Love aunt cathy

Anonymous said...

Ethan and Mary, We are so excited for the both of you and pray for you daily. It sounds as though Caleb was just as happy to see you as you him. It was great reading your email and can't wait for an update and pictures. We love you and will continue to keep all three of you in prayer,
Uncle Rob, Aunt Shelly and Trishlyn