Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Father's Words

Words From Caleb's Father:Ethan

I'm a bit self conscious about writing to so many folks, knowing their are several of you that teach English makes it all the worse. I will write anyways.

Thank you for all the things you have said, Mary and I have found some great encouragement when reading your entries. What we can't do for some reason is read them out loud. Mary tried to earlier and she couldn't make it through without crying. The last two weeks have been pretty emotional. Meeting Caleb yesterday was a little strange, I didn't feel that there was a real connection. Of course we only had about fifteen minutes, he had a poopy diaper, and I had not really slept in several days. Today was very different, today when I picked him up out of his crib he felt like mine. Holding him felt so natural, to touch him, to kiss his little forehead, to love him, and tell him how much I love him, it all felt so good. Today's visit lived up to any expectations that I have had. What I know now is just how great the love of a father can be. I can hardly wait till our next visit. I changed my first diaper today, it was a clean one so I don't know if that really counts, but I changed a diaper none the less. I watched my son fall asleep in my wife's arms today, that was pretty cool. I went grocery shopping in a Kazakhstan store, I bought groceries without reading any of the labels that was tricky. I worked Mary out, that was fun, to bust her butt for once. Things here are good. Thank you for your prayer, your thoughts, and your blog entries.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words don't suffice. We are honestly overwhelmed. I feel we have hardly stopped praying for you, and we can hardly wait until you are home. Be well, friends.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how much love there already is for this little boy.
I really believe that he could not have a better father in the world than you.
You will be a blessing to him.
I love you Ethan,
Mom

Larry Schlabach said...

Mary, you look like a natural holding that boy. Congratulations. We are proud of you all and are in our prayers. Make sure Mary that meat is not "Lassie"

Gina said...

Ethan,
you need to stop posting! you make all of us cry!! only kidding! you guys are precious, Gina

Maureen Powers said...

Your son is absolutely beautiful. I wonder if you are visiting him in the same room we did - Room 8 on the first floor with the salmon-colored curtains? It's nice to see the all the green outside Caleb's window. When we were there everything was barren and white. I agree with Jodi - go bowling and have the french fries at the bowling alley...I think they were the best ones in Kokshetau! I am really enjoying your blog entries and the pics immensely. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Maureen

Anonymous said...

Ethan, What a joy to read your expression of love for baby Caleb. He is so loved already in our hearts and we look forward to him being part of our life. There are two tractors in the yard now!!!

swooze said...

ethan and mary-
it is so good to hear from you guys!! I miss yall even more knowing that you are gone- sunday dinner wont be the same without you guys. caleb is the most precious thing ever!! i can't wait to play with him and give him hugs and kisses! mary don't let ethan beat you in running--we know you are really the fastest!! haha
It's so exciting to see photos of you guys with caleb- and i am so glad that you guys are connecting so well. too bad you don't get to spend more time with him during the day--i hope that you guys have fun exploring the city! I love and miss you both so much!! give caleb a kiss from his aunt suzanne!

Anonymous said...

We love you Ethan and Mary and are so happy that you have finally met your son. We are and have been praying for you everyday. Love the pictures too and can not wait to see you all in person. Love you lots. Mom mom and Pop pop

Joy Sneller said...

Ethan and Mary, You are not the only ones who can't read these entries without crying. I read your accounts with tears streaming down my face, both from joy for you and memories of my own. The joy of adoption is remarkable and as you now know is pretty indescribable. We praise God for you and with you. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Your son is precious! Congratulations!!! Joy

Unknown said...

Congrats Ethan and Mary! Seeing the pictures of you and Caleb is great. What a cute kid!

You all look so happy, and I am glad you have this blog so everyone can share in the excitment. Take care, have fun in Kaz.

Ellen Franklin said...

Ethan and Mary,
I hope you received Ted and Sarah's comments from last night. We are so thrilled for you. What a lucky boy to have such wonderful parents! One day you can tell him about this incredible journey halfway around the world just to find him. He is so precious.
Much love,Ellen