Sunday, August 19, 2007

In Our Father's Arms








August 18
Hello! We are officially living the movie “Groundhog Day” out here in Kokshetau. For those of you who have not seen the movie, it is the story of a man who lives the same day over and over. That is where we are. If any of you like routine, you would love this trip. Our day has little variety, but we are not complaining! I’m sure full time parenthood will have plenty of variety. Caleb is completely over his cold. We have had fun visits the last two days. He continues to be more and more interactive with us. He smiles a lot and vocalizes more. His little personality is beginning to show itself. He loves to talk to Ethan. he seems to enjoy snuggling with me and playing and talking to Ethan. The good part of that for me is that Ethan continues to be spit up on more than me. We have been able to go outside with him in his snowsuit the last two days. Today he seemed a little more interested in the outdoors, looking at our shadows mostly. Both days he falls asleep as we walk him. Today was the first day in about a week that he was MAD when we left, screaming mad. The nurse had to go in and hold him. That was hard, but what can we do? We are glad he is bonding with us. Only a two more weeks and he will be with us all the time. To those of you who are concerned, Caleb's thumb is healing up nicely. I too have begun to heal from the experience. Tomorrow, I am letting Ethan cut his nails. Tonight we are going out with another couple who we met today in the Grocery Store who are here adopting as well. We look forward to getting to know them. Beer and pizza are on the agenda for the evening. Last night we stayed in and Ethan had Big Ron noodles, and I oatmeal for the second evening in a row. Oh yes, the wedding and parties continue at he hotel we are staying in. They usually go until about 2 am and then the party moves to the street right outside our window. These people love to celebrate. Good times all around in Kokshetau!
Mary
August 18
When the doctors and our translator described Caleb as a “little man”, I thought they were talking about the way he looked, I was wrong. These women that described Caleb were speaking about his personality. Caleb is the perfect fit for Mary and me. Do not misunderstand, we love him with every bone in our body, he is so sweet and precious. But his personality is creeping out, for instance today when Caleb’s diaper was dirty he made it very clear that he didn’t like having a dirty diaper and he demanded that we change it ASAP. Today when I went to clean out his ears, he told me again he didn’t like it and demanded that I stop. We then asked the translator, who has known Caleb for several months, if this was normal behavior for him she laughed and said “Of course it is normal, this is why we call him little man”. She went on to say “When Sasha wants something he tells you he wants it, and when he does not like something he tells you”. Mary and I have found this to be true. For instance when Caleb wants his bottle everyone in the hospital will hear about it if he does not get it in time. Yesterday and today we see the side of Caleb that his cold has been hiding from us. (Since we met Caleb a little over a week ago he has had a cold, not a serious thing but just enough that we had only met the softer side of this little boy). Now that he is better I see a “will”. It is a little scary to see your own child, so small and precious one moment, and so strong and pushy the next. What we have seen over the last two days is that this child, our son, has a strong will. I am pleased to report that my son is a little pushy; we are excited to see his true personality come out. He seems to be a strong willed boy. It is truly amazing that God has chosen us to raise him. I look forward to seeing his determination and strong will play out in our future lives as his parents. I have found that what he wants more than anything is to be held. When I hold him in my arms he spreads his little arms out and reaches from my left side all the way to my right, his arms don’t move he rests his head on my left shoulder and just lays there. He is content and at peace, you can tell by watching him that he feels safe, that he knows my love. The parallels that I see between the way my orphan son finds rest and peace in my arms, and I find rest and peace in the arms of my heavenly father are amazing. Thank you all for your prayer, and all the nice things you say on the blog, they mean a lot to Mary and I both.
Ethan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful to read...thank you for sharing that.

nikki b said...

Mary, i laughed out loud at your ground hog day description of your life in Kokshetau. so, Chevy has been officially replaced as your snuggle buddy? you are looking skinnier.

Ethan, strong willed children make life more interesting.

Caleb is so cute in the new pics!

Anonymous said...

Once again, it was great to talk to you yesterday. We love to hear about your "life" is Kaz. and especially about our little Caleb. What a precious gift he is to all of us.
So, a stong-willed child....we have a special place in our hearts for stong-willed children. We have known a few :)
We love you dearly and miss you terribly. MOM

Lori said...

Mary -
A strong willed child will only make life more interesting. Now we will have "Caleb stories" to replace the "Paige stories" you guys would ask about when we were going through phase one of the strong willed child.
Ethan -
The analogy was absolutely so true in so many ways in our life - faith, trust, love, safety, and on & on. Caleb is so fortunate to have parents who will teach him not only about earthly love but also about our heavenly father!