Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Caleb's Day Out



August 15
Today has been a calm, peaceful day. We had an earlier than usual visit with Caleb today, 9:30 instead of 10:00 as there is a new family coming in today. Caleb was snotless today, which was a huge treat. He was all smiles in the beginning and definitely wanted to play. He took his bottle a little slower to our insistence, and seemed to have less of a problem with reflux. We both came away this morning basically dry. Also, he spent about 30 minutes on the mattress, which lies on the floor, crawling, talking to us and playing. Then he got a little fussy and all that would appease him was me standing up and walking with him in his favorite position, looking over my shoulder. I obliged for about thirty minutes. He didn’t sleep, just rested and looked at the room. Speaking of the room, it is so small and seems to get smaller each day. Caleb was moved into this particular room when we agreed to adopt him. He is in there by himself; there is a crib and two single beds. The room is about 6 X 12 feet with one large window. We typically put one of the mattresses on the floor, where he likes to play. Though, he has been trying to venture off the mattress, his curiosity is starting to appear. They have told us that if the weather warms up we can take him outside. Hopefully that will be very soon!


We had a nice evening last night going to buy soap. We stopped at a stand on the side of the road and ordered some food, which we found to be similar to a hotdog. The only difference between it and an American hotdog was that the bun was larger and tasty; it had mayonnaise, carrots and onions on it. It was good. We then came back and ordered food from the restaurant in the hotel, we both ordered Chicken Odessa, thinking it sounded somewhat common. It ended up being dark pieces of chicken baked in a thick bread batter. It smelled like chicken livers to me, I only ate a little. Eating continues to be a challenge for me. Well, that is about all for today, we continue to settle in. We are enjoying our time and trying to savor this period in our lives, but the comforts of home and being with those we love are much missed.
Mary
*The picture of Caleb with wet hair was taken after Ethan gave him a “wet wipe” hair wash.






12 comments:

Gina said...

Mary, I have sent your blog to mom, after meeting you..she is also very excited about you guys! Your blog has become a part of so many of our daily routines!! miss you- g

Anonymous said...

How Wonderful to hear your voice Ethan. I love the video and especially the part where Caleb is sleepy.
We are praying that the Lord will give you an extra measure of patience as you wait for the day you bring him home.
We love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

hi folks,
great stuff and congrats and beautiful boy and good luck the rest of the way!!
we got home from kokshetau in feb. 2006 with dylan.
we stayed in the same hotel for a few days and then the cottage. you MUST send my regards to oleg and inna!
let them take you to good restaurants!!

Jodi said...

Hi Mary

So glad your visits with Caleb are going well! He is adorable!! I know those four walls close in on you after a while (and believe it or not you are in one of the bigger visitation rooms!) but before you know it you'll have Caleb out of there and with you 24/7 and it will be awesome!

Sorry you are having problems finding something appealing to eat. I think it is sometimes a matter of getting use to things. But a few suggestions:

There's a dish at the hotel restaurant called, I think, "Beef Acapulco"? It's beef in almost a bar-b-que sauce. Very good.

The only chicken I ever had that I liked was the kabobs from Rainbow. All the other chicken was dark with lots of skin and fat - I stopped ordering it after a few days!

There is a pick up store right next to the hotel and inside is a very sweet young woman who loves to practice her English. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to help you find a few items, and there are some staples like yogurt and Pringles. Just go in and wander around a bit - she'll find you : )

Have Inna take you to the basement of the Tsum store. There are lots of counters where you can get cheese, meat pies, cookies and other things. There is also a little cafe type place in the back right rear corner that sells items like pizza rolls and meat pies.

If you don't mind a little walk Viola market has good meat pies, baked goods, fruits, and salads.

Continued good luck with everything!

Jodi

Lori said...

Caleb is so very cute!!! Love the video! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us. We all check the blog everyday to see if there is new stories & pictures. Carol Schoner ask about you yesterday; she saw the pictures through her happy tears for you guys! Mary, I can't believe you ate the food from the stand on the road. I will continue to pray for all three of you. Glad Caleb was feeling better! Love, Lori

Unknown said...

I LOVE the video! Caleb is sooo... cute. I love watching him keep from falling asleep. I can't wait to hold him and play with him. Thanks for sharing your days with us. I love all three of you.
Dad (PopPop)

Anonymous said...

ethan & mary - we are so very happy for you! caleb is so precious & the video of him is just so sweet! we too are keeping up with your journey via this blog & have to say that it is such a blessing. a wonderful reminder of God's love & faithfullness. thank you for sharing! blessings - brooke & daniel

Anonymous said...

Mary and Ethan and sweet Caleb, What a wonderful treat to see the video of the snowsuit day! Caleb is absolutely adorable.Those cheeks are just asking for a big kiss. Can't wait. Love Uncle D and aunt C

malcolm & carolyn swanson said...

We can hardly wait to read your blog each day. God is good!
We continue to pray for you.
Malcolm & Carolyn Swanson

Anonymous said...

Ashley, here- I'm resorting to "anonymous" in order to post things...most humbling I must say!
I miss you guys so much, it truly does hurt a bit lately. I have to keep telling myself its only a short time in all the years we've had together, but I think its because so much is happening on your end.
Mary, I just read one of the comments above with lots of advice on eating...I so hope it helps! I want to hug that nice couple who cooked for you...what a blessing when you are in your situation (in my Navy days I had some similar experiences, but never for 4 weeks!) This is all such great "training" for how much parenting will stretch you(its is unavoidable for all of us)!!! I am grateful for your connection with those Americans...isn't it amazing how comforting it is when in a foreign place? At home, there are so few people we truly bond with, but in a foreign place that common denominator is such a powerful bond! Again, I remember that from Navy days and especially with the few other Christians in the Navy.

I check your blog every night- its a daily routine now! Everybody started back to school yesterday, and I've gone back to my 3 day work week. I may go to MO Labor day weekend to see my sweet grandmother who has fallen at 89 and is not doing too well. Can you remind me of your return date, Mary?

We are all enjoying copies of your pics on our frig and I have one of the three of you up at work! Michael keeps kissing the pic of Caleb- I know M. can be a wild thing, but he really means it!

much love,
Ashley

Joc said...

Hey neighbors! Just wanted you to know that we're praying for you three. And we're so excited for you too!
Blessings- Matthew and Jocelyn

swooze said...

caleb is so adorable!!!!! i love watching the video of him in his fluffy snow suit! how precious! i am praying for all three of you- i can't wait for you guys to come home! love you TONS!!
suzanne